Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day Two in Vietnam

Today was a busy, productive day. We met with a member of the university, Dr. Loc, who studied at the university of Arizona. He is considered a leading expert in the shrimp disease we are working with, Early Mortality Syndrome (EMS). He showed us his lab facilities and talked with us about shrimp diseases and the work he is doing. We also met his lab staff. In the afternoon, we met with a representative from Grobest, Mr. Hoang. He is the Vice General. Grobest is one of the largest producers of shrimp feed. It was very interesting to listen to the different perspectives on the disease and what the farmers need to deal with it.

So far we have worked with the producers of shrimp food and hatchery brood stock.  Tomorrow morning, we leave for another province to see some farms and adult shrimp. Lots of images I will be sharing tomorrow. Today was our first rainy day, and it did not start until after 1:30, we have been very lucky. Hoping for sun for the next few days for photo ops.

When we returned, we went to a large market where the number of booths and vendors was overwhelming. I was called madame, by so many people, I think it is now my name. We are going back Friday night, since it is our last night here. Who wants a bottle with a Cobra, a scorpion and some other creature floating inside it? Speak up now or someone else is going to get it!

I will be back tomorrow after we reach Soc Trang province and visit the farms.Can you say chuyến đi đường?

Faye

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fay, you could have told me the above was the rare Mekong whale shrimp and I'd have believed you! Is the lobster industry managed to avoid the problems faced by the shrimp industry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are really lovely Dave, and the year round warm water seems to make the size of everything larger here. I don't know about the lobster industry. I've only heard mention of shrimp and fish. I will ask Mrs. Binh on our trip today and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Oh! I want a bottle of Cobra!

    ReplyDelete