Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Walking and driving in Ho Chi Minh City

It is 5:30 am on Wednesday. While I sit in my room drinking very strong, Vietnamese coffee, I wanted to comment about the traffic in Vietnam. Everyone is rushing and driving wherever there is an opening. Mopeds, trucks, buses and the occasional car are competing for the roadway, yet no one seems to worry about accidents. I have seen buses within inches of a moped with multiple family members, including babies and yet no one is worried. A gentle tap on the horn warms the moped that they are near and not to move into their space. No one responds with angry gestures or words.

Within the city itself, there is a bit more aggression, but nothing compared to the US. A more prolonged beep is about as strong a response as you will get. You can walk in the street with hundreds of vehicles coming at you, but no one will hit you. They move around you like a flock of birds and then retake the space after they are past. It is truly a site to see.

Today we will be going out to view shrimp farms, large and small to observe production and issues farmers are experiencing. I will share images when I return.

P.S. I did not take the photo. Michael has my camera, so I am using a stock photo.

3 comments:

  1. I am following your travels Sis....sounds like a very cool experience.....Love Wendy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea my sister! It has certainly been an experience I will never forget!

    ReplyDelete